Friday, August 19, 2005

Spammed?

So, I head back into my room after a spending a fair amount of time downstairs. (I forget what i was doing before my story, but it doesn't matter.) I see a piece of paper lying on my desk; it's a printout of an e-mail. My dad printed out an e-mail that one of his friends forwarded to him, apparently, and wanted me to see it.

So, of course, I read it. It's some warning about how you should add all your cell phone numbers to the national "do not call" list, because the cell phone companies are about to release the cell phone numbers of all of their users to a directory where anyone can see them, and all of the advertizing agencies are gonna call you on your cell phone. Calls you get charged for.

Hpmh. My dad buys into everything of this sort that his friends send him. What do I do? I fact-check it on teh google. And what do I find? An article, citing that e-mail along with a few others, saying that that is yet another internet hoax. There is a little truth to it: the phone companies are trying to have a 411-style directory, where people can pay to look up the cell phone numbers of people they know. But is my cell phone number gonna be given to a telemarketer? Nope.

Tsk tsk. My dad always seems to waste my time with making me read the horrible jokes his friends forward to them, and now he just leaves internet hoaxes lying around my room. You'd think he'd have some common sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home