Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Orginazation Systems

I find it hard to describe how organized I am. My room looks very messy, but I know where pretty much everything is. (Well, the important things, anyway.)

It got me thinking about how I organize, and organization in general. I remember 7th grade vividly, where I had one gigantic binder for school, with one divider per class, and a pocket in the front that got literally stuffed with hundreds of papers.

My thesis is this: A good organization system tends to stay organized with the least amount of effort as possible.

Yes, my room looks cluttered. But my shoes are always in the same nook, and my wallet, cell phone, and car keys are always in the place that I've designated for them. (No, I'm not posting where I keep my wallet on the internet.)

Sure, lugging a binder for every class around was tough on my back, but it let me subdivide my subjects into homework, classwork, etc. Avoiding the one huge pocket, stuffed with months of old papers, made it all worth it.

When I started carrying a folder in my bookbag designated only for paper, I stopped having to search though every binder for a loose sheet, and was able to know when to refill.

The large folder hierarchy of My Documents makes finding documents again a snap. (Yes, I have stuff like \Schoolwork\10thGrade\Physics\StringTheory\FinalReport.doc.) It takes only a fraction of a second to save the document further down the hierarchy, but saves tons of time finding my files.

Sometimes, the solution to disorganization is not to spend more time organizing, but to improve your organizational system.

(Edit: Slightly changed example filename to make it fit on the screen. Stupid Blogger's fragmented CSS made my line run off the page.)

5 Comments:

At 8/01/2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Roshan said...

I agree. I also loved using separate binders for classes, and did so even in 7th and 8th grade, against the will of the teachers. I love the hierarchy of my documents. I have used it for as long as I can remember, and it just works.

 
At 8/02/2006 12:34 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Yup, same thing happened to me in 7th and 8th grade. Allow me to archive this for my (future) readers:

It's so ironic that we were supposed to be graded on our organization in middle school, via these things called "AVID Binder Checks". AVID was a program in the school for people who needed better organizational and life skills, for you non-Randolph-veterns. I think about 50 people were in the program, but the whole school was put under their binder checks.

The system that we were supposed to follow, and were graded on how well we followed, was absolutely horrible. We were supposed to have just one huge binder, one divider per subject, paper in each subject section, etc, etc, etc. Twas a recipe for either spending 10% of your class time messing with your binder, or stuffing everything in one huge pocket. You know what? I failed EVERY SINGLE ONE of the binder checks during my 8th grade year. (Thank goodness no teacher would ever actually record it as a grade.)

Funny thing is, using my own system (which they practically punished me for doing), I was probably better organized than most of the guys in the school. (For some reason, stereotypical girls don't mind organizing better by spending more time organizing. Perhaps I'm just lazy.)

 
At 8/02/2006 12:45 PM, Blogger Roshan said...

Yea, I hated those binder checks. They were a pain, but I had Mr. Scott for homeroom, heh.

 
At 8/06/2006 8:16 AM, Blogger Clare said...

I organize pretty much the same way as you, Matthew, looka messy but I know where everything is.

And I also hated the AVID binder checks. But Mr. O was my homeroom teacher, so it never ended up mattering.

 
At 8/06/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Lucas said...

i remember how i was exempt from those dumb binder check grades b/c of horizons.. lol

and that file system.. I do it every year, and after about a month i get lazy, so i end up having huge amounts of unfiltered files to sort through. I also like to save things as lucas chem report.doc, lucas chemreport2.doc, etc.. so it gets even more confusing..

i hated those checks. ms. gentile never cared though... except that one time ms. pokorney, the avid teacher, came in...

my blog's back btw, so if you get a chance you might want to read it... i've only put up two new posts since i brought it back at the end of july.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home